FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Hoa do you get around 2-step authentication in place with no cellphone signal?
Old Feb 18, 2020, 8:19 am
Dread Pirate Jeff

Programs: Marriott Platinum. AA and UA as well, but I don't care about them anymore.
Originally Posted by weltfrieden
yes, wifi works, but without any cellphone signal on my Verizon and AT&T phones, I couldn't do the 2-step. I had cleared the browsing history on my laptop the day before, so when I connected to the hotel's wifi, Gmail asked me to verify by typing in the code that I get via SMS. I ended up driving the 20 miles until I was able to pick up 1 bar of Verizon signal and received the SMS. I used hotspot on my phone and typed the code into my laptop. Then drove the 20 miles back to the hotel.
Since you're talking about GMail, you can use Google Authenticator to generate OTPs rather than using the SMS method.

I have four different gmail accounts, one uses my corporate SSO, and the rest simply ask for an OTP that is generated by Google Authenticator. Alternatively, use a Yubikey. That's how I did GMail 2FA until my beloved nearly 10 year old Yubikey finally took the celestial dirt nap.