FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Increased Turbulence Announcements Before Takeoff
Old Feb 17, 2020, 11:35 am
cmd320
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by demkr
I actually notice this more on UA than I do on DL.... And half the time the turbulence is not too bad.

The obsession with the seatbelt sign in the US has always been there, but it certainly does seem like they're taking extra precautions these days.

On United, it seems like on every long-haul flight with even a hint of bumpy air it's , "Flight attendants. Take your jump seats."

I definitely support safety first, but it's interesting how the rest of the world is able to get up and use the lav as soon as the plane reaches 10K feet and the world hasn't ended.
On many airlines it's not uncommon to have the seatbelt sign off even before 10,000ft if the ride is smooth.

The problem with leaving the sign on constantly is that people then disregard it when there actually is a reason to observe it.

And yes, I was on DL for two flights a little over a week ago and on both there was very little service even in F due to 'weather' as noted by the crew. The reality is that it was really only a light chop for most of the ride and nothing that would really necessitate FAs being in their seats the whole time. I had not problem getting up to use the lav and only on departure and short final was there any kind of notable turbulence.