FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Hyatt Centric The Liberties Dublin REVIEW - MASTER THREAD
Old Feb 16, 2020, 1:55 am
MumbaiDan

Programs: LH HON, BA LT Gold, AFKL ULTI, WOH Lifetime Globalist, Bonvoy Ambassador
Standard business hotel

The location of the Hyatt Centric Dublin is ok on the St Patrick side of South Dublin City Centre. Nothing is very far in Dublin so no problem. But it is not in one of the two major City Centre locations. A Dubliner would consider this a second rated location. The surrounding area is also very busy with traffic and its loud.
The hotel itself is a typical business hotel at the level of a Holiday Inn. The normal rooms are very small, but have everything you need.
I booked a King Suite and as a LT Globalist they upgraded me to their biggest room, a Terrace View Suite. The room is a corner room with a nice sofa, a small dinner table and a small desk (overlooking a terrace with stones on it, but you can't step out on the terrace, its literally a "Terrace View". For my purpose this was perfect (and for Dublin hotel prices good value). I like it cozy so I was ok with the room having very limited light choices. The room is dark in the evening and if you like a lot of light and to work maybe in a bright room don't chose this hotel. The bathroom was modern with a nice shower and bathtub. There was also a coffee machine, but it was an unknown brand with some cheap tasting Lungo (1 pod) and Hot Chocolate I did not try (2 pods). Nespresso now is standard and I usually bring my own capsules. In this hotel Nespresso capsules don't work as they are not compatible with the machine. Annoying! At the bed there are no usb plugs, so you need a UK standard charger if you want your device charging close to your bed. There is a Mini fridge, but it was empty.
I went to the Bar and the restaurant. Half of the things I ordered were out of stock (Monkey Gin was not available even though shown on the Menu and my main course choice for dinner was not available either. Drinks and Food were reasonably priced for Dublin standards (Dublin is London pricing). They did not hesitate to bring me the dinner to my room as the people frequenting the public area were loud and I wanted to still get some work done. The restaurant is basically a breakfast designed room, so not very suitable for dinner. I would not do a conference dinner here, one would need to go outside, the atmosphere is just too much bf room.
The food at breakfast was the usual Irish spread, but all low quality, mass pre-packed food. I would not blame this on Hyatt. Ireland has really low standards in business hotels, it's all about making money (the Westin etc are all like that).
The Fitness Centre is very small, but covering the basics, nothing to write home about.
My overall impression is what I expected the Hyatt Centric in Dublin to be. Its a 4 Star level Business Hotel. I would not want to spend a weekend with a special one here. But it's ok if you are in town to work and just use the hotel to sleep.
Great that we finally have a Hyatt choice in Dublin though. It took them very long (now you can also book the Brooks Hotel through Hyatt, much better location).
On another note. This has been my third stay at Hyatt Centric (stayed in Tokyo and Milan). The one in Tokyo is at a consistently high standard and I would rate it five star (have been a few times and the mixture of location and overall value is superb), the one in Milan is very boutique and design (thought it was very chic and high quality) while the Dublin hotel is at a business hotel level in a second tier area of the city (bar some loud music in the public areas this is basically a Holiday Inn). I still don't understand what Hyatt Centric stands for and what the brand values are. Each of the hotels was so different and no consistent offering.