FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Corona Flight Cancellation experiences
View Single Post
Old Feb 15, 2020, 11:03 am
kaffir76

Programs: SQ KF GO, OZ GO, QR PC PLAT, TG ROP SL, LCAH SL, IHG SPIRE, Marriott BONVOY GO, HILTON GO
Thumbs up Latest update / data point (CX 890)

Originally Posted by MKBshaw
CX has been cancelling 888 and 865 - both my in and outbound have been cancelled (HKG-YVR-HKG).
The online rebooking portal has been timing out for the last 2hrs and its impossible to get anyone on the phone. What a bloody mess.
Yes, that post was from 4-5 days ago ..
The timetable on the CX website has since been updated & CX 888 is indeed canx.
To be fair to CX, they have canx. more than 1/2 of their routes & flights so there must be a lot of manual adjustments to be done for flight schedules, bookings & re-bookings etc.
TBH - I was surprised that BOS was not suspended but instead, it was IAD & EWR (YVR was a planned cut all along, just happened sooner due to COVID)

Anyway on my side, I have re-booked onto SQ direct to EWR - CX dropping me off @ JFK just doesn't make sense when I need to be at the Newark airport area
Added on to the fact that the Pier F lounge will be closed, I would have to force an overnight layover at HKG airport or take the most terrible red eye flight to HKG dep. at 1am & getting into JFK late at night (10pm) - it just didn't make sense to carry on with the CX itinerary

So I called CX & waited for about 20 min. before the call was answered.
Basically, there are no other options for pax on the EWR flight - everyone is being routed to JFK
The agent did offer to allow me to change my travel dates to later in the year but I wasn't sure how long this suspension of US routes would last ...
So I'll get a full refund instead with no penalty fees.
Just need to call in again to confirm the cancellation before my travel date - or perhaps I should just do it online @ CX MMB ..

My lucky stars were shining yesterday as I managed to redeem a Saver award on SQ to EWR on my original travel date
It was the 1st time I've seen Saver awards available for this flight & on several dates this & next month - with some flights showing up to 2 seats available (e.g. 2/26)!
It took about 24 hours for the additional miles to come thru' but the availability held out for that long & I just booked earlier this evening / last night (SGP time)
I got worried there for a few hours as I was hoping no one else would redeem that single seat on the date I wanted to travel (27 FEB)

All the best of luck to everyone who's been affected - it is indeed a terrible mess & it must be hard times for the airline & staff as well right now

p/s I fixed your quotes