FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Alaska / AS joining oneworld 31 Mar 2021, AA launching SEA-BLR/LHR
Old Feb 14, 2020, 7:41 pm
bchandler02

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
Originally Posted by yensoy
SEA-BLR a long flight. Connecting customers may have other choices (for instance someone flying SJC-SEA-BLR could drive up to SFO and take any of the numerous 1 stops), AA needs to convince them why flying through SEA is better than a break midway in Europe or Asia. Time savings is one aspect but if the journey is viewed as a painful exercise (such as inadequate food, or poor state of toilets, or less chance to stretch ones legs) then passengers especially in economy might prefer the conventional longer 1 stop routings which are plentiful today.
This is a really good point. Having done the ORD-DEL flight a few times when it was active (and then connecting to HYD), the long flight wears on you.
Option 1 at the time was OKC/ORD/DEL/HYD.
Option 2 at the time was OKC/xxx/LHR/HYD

I had switched to option 2 to break up the trip, as well as avoid what at the time was a not pleasant connection in DEL prior to the new airport terminals. In Y, ORD/DEL was unbearable. In J, it was tolerable but not great, however this was with the old angle flat seats. The new J seats on 789's would be much better.

Now, my choice would be OKC/SEA/BLR (and sometimes to HYD, although I'd probably spend more time in BLR these days) - but it may still be worth it to do OKC/xxx/LHR/BLR just to break up the trip into shorter segments.
It will be interesting to see if the majority prefers a extremely long flight with less connections.