FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AS + AA "West Coast International Alliance" Separate From oneworld
Old Feb 14, 2020, 1:13 pm
eponymous_coward
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by SEA737
I think AA and AS are highlighting that they'll have a partnership that goes a little beyond just both being in oneworld. I wouldn't be surprised if there are preferential earning rates (such as AA does with JV partners), and perhaps even reciprocal upgrades (although maybe prioritized alongside last tier of the other airline).
That doesn't make sense, the last two tiers of AA (Platinum, Gold) have to pay for upgrades for flights > 500 miles using instruments (500 milers, I know an AA EXP doesn't have to deal with those ). Is AA going to issue instruments to AS pax? Literally ANY flight on AA out of SEA or PDX > 500 miles. "Great, here's a complimentary upgrade most of the AS customer base can't actually use unless it's some random PHX-LGB or DFW-OKC flight". Meanwhile AA pax would be on the list for transcons...

I suspect it's more likely there's no F upgrades, just Premium Class and Main Cabin Extra.