FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 2020 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A Thread: All Welcome, New and Old!
Old Feb 14, 2020, 11:10 am
flymonthly

Programs: AS 75k
Originally Posted by Alexsth2011
Help me get some sense of reality here.
When I get upgraded to FC with my 6yo but got seated on two aisle seats such as 2C and 2D. Naturally, I have asked other passengers on 2A and 2F and had generally no problem but this time, I got a hard no and really reluctant yes, which at first somewhat irritated me tbh, but as I thought more about it, I came to a slow realization that I might be the one that is acting rude here. These people probably paid 5x~7x more than me and they chose their seats, which I should respect more. It was 7h-long transcon, too and pretty sure we were the only ones upgraded. The one that said no didn't even get up once the whole entire time after all.

I mean, giving up FC to be seated in PC with middle seat open would have been completely fine with me.
What would you do? What should I do?
As long as you ask nicely, take a "no" graciously and are sufficiently grateful for even a reluctant "yes", I don't see a problem. If I had been sitting in the window seat next to your 6yo, I would have volunteered to switch without being asked (I've done so before). But I normally don't care about window vs. aisle when I'm in F unless I've had too much coffee/alcohol in which case I'd be grateful for the aisle.