FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Connecting in SFO
View Single Post
Old Feb 13, 2020, 5:00 pm
WillTins3

Programs: AMEX Platinum, Marriot Gold
Originally Posted by dhuey
Add me to the list who would not book this tight of a connection at SFO when the incoming flight is from LAX. It might seem counter-intuitive, but I might be willing to this same thing if the incoming flight were coming in from ORD, IAH, or the East Coast. The problem, as noted above, is that short flights into SFO are the very first to get delayed when delays are necessary. WillTins3, if you don't decide to pay the extra $75 per person, I recommend monitoring the weather and flight operations at SFO very closely on your day of departure. If you see trouble, head to LAX early and try to get a gate agent or customer service rep to put you on an earlier flight to avoid missing the HKG flight.

Well noted Dhuey. Thank you for the reply. Yeah it appears that this is a bit risky. Everything would have to go off perfectly or even a 15 minute delay and things should be fine. United offers this same itinerary for a connection that will eventually turn into Cathay Pacific so I would have to think that they are used to a few coming on the flight from LAX and catching that HKG flight to either Cathay Pacific or Hong Kong Airlines.

I've never had issues with delays or missed flights before so if I did watch the day of departure closely and I showed up to LAX earlier than planned, do gate agents typically try and accomodate at no charge or would they try and hit me up for change fees to put me on the flight that departs an hour earlier?