FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Checking Through Bags to Final Destination? (AS to British Airways)
Old Feb 13, 2020, 5:12 am
Flying for Fun

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by skyscraper101
Any experts who can advise here?

I'm going from LA to NY on Alaska, and then looking to connect with a BA flight to London. They both use Terminal 7 at JFK, so if I can get the timing right, I'd like to check the baggage through to London without having to go landside, and re-do security. Is this possible? Would Alaska do this, if the flights are from different airlines, and not on the same ticket? This is my theoretical journey:

LAX > JFK Alaska Airlines arriving 6am
JFK > LHR is BA leaving 7.55am

That seems a reasonable length of time to transfer within the same Terminal, but only if I don't have to retrieve bags, and then re-check bags and do security etc. If I can't do this, then I may opt for a later flight out of JFK.
Yes. AS can and will check bags through to your final destination as long as they have an interline agreement. They certainly do with BA.

I have checked bags through from AS to AA and AS to CX, both on seperate tickets. On the later, I flew LAX-SEA-YVR U on AS and then CX YVR-JFK(F)-HKG(J). The first was a revenue ticket, the second an award ticket.

James