FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 2020 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A Thread: All Welcome, New and Old!
Old Feb 13, 2020, 1:46 am
VegasGambler
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Alexsth2011
Help me get some sense of reality here.
When I get upgraded to FC with my 6yo but got seated on two aisle seats such as 2C and 2D. Naturally, I have asked other passengers on 2A and 2F and had generally no problem but this time, I got a hard no and really reluctant yes, which at first somewhat irritated me tbh, but as I thought more about it, I came to a slow realization that I might be the one that is acting rude here. These people probably paid 5x~7x more than me and they chose their seats, which I should respect more. It was 7h-long transcon, too and pretty sure we were the only ones upgraded. The one that said no didn't even get up once the whole entire time after all.

I mean, giving up FC to be seated in PC with middle seat open would have been completely fine with me.
What would you do? What should I do?
I wouldn't give up a window for an aisle, under any circumstances. I don't want to be disturbed by someone in the window seat getting up.

There is nothing wrong with asking, but you are the one asking for a favor. If you do it without a sense of entitlement, it's not rude. But there's also nothing wrong with saying no.

If it's important more important that you be guaranteed of sitting together than that you get upgraded, you can always take yourself off the upgrade list. It's a matter of priorities. You are taking some risk of being split up when you get upgraded; it's up to you whether you want to take that risk.