FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - CPAP, POC oxygen concentrator portable medical devices on AA
Old Feb 11, 2020, 10:28 am
BlatheringPenguin

Originally Posted by DFW DL
Unfortunately the rules change every few years, which is why you are seeing conflicting information. The AA.com website isn't too helpful either at the moment. Last I knew the "official" policy was battery powered devices only, but the website says nothing that I can see at the moment. Best to contact AA Special Services and ask.

That being said, I've never had any trouble using my CPAP on board an AA flight without a battery. I always call Special Services before departure to advise them I'll be using it, and they always warn me not to depend on the availability of at-seat power and not to use the CPAP during take-off or landing.
I use my portable CPAP in international J at least twice a month often 3-4x, always on in-seat power. I don't carry a battery and I accept the risk that if in-seat power isn't working then no CPAP for me on that flight. But, knock on wood, that's never happened. I don't unpack my CPAP until in the air and put it away before landing. I'm sure there's plenty of times I've forgotten to notify AA ahead of time and I've never been challenged about using it (knock on wood).