FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - What are the requirements for a spouse to drive rental car?
Old Feb 10, 2020, 12:06 pm
dcchi

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, UA Gold, AA Gold
What are the requirements for a spouse to drive rental car?

Longtime Executive/Elite member. I used to think that spouses (in my case, my wife who shares my last name and lives at my address) were automatically covered and could drive when I rented a car even if she was not at checkout when I picked up the car (e.g., to show her driver's license). We had done this for many years and luckily had no accidents or such. (e.g., we'd go on long road trips where I'd drive the bulk of it, but she would take over for a few hours a day to spell me to give me a break)

Then about a year or so ago, I thought I read somewhere that this was not the case, and that spouses were not automatically covered. Not a huge deal because of the length of the drives we have undertaken recently.

We are soon about to do some longer road trips again where it would be great to have her be able to take over for a couple of hours so I can rest in between long drives. If necessary, she can be present to rent the car, but this would be a hassle.

Can someone definitively clarify whether:
(1) she needs to be present (to show her license) or
(2) she is automatically covered and does not need to be present when I rent (but can still drive the car without issue)?

Thanks in advance!