FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - TSA PreCheck "Random" Extra Screening?
View Single Post
Old Feb 10, 2020, 8:04 am
TWA884
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Got the random beep at LAX T4 this morning. I heard the beep when I was already ten feet past the metal detector. The TSO barked "step back". I wasn't sure if he was talking to me, so I asked. He responded by asking if I saw anyone else. He then paged for a male screener a couple of times. I had trouble watching my bags on the other side of the x-ray belt, as people were blocking my view, but I was not about to get into an argument with him.

After five minutes or longer, a much more pleasant female TSO, who just finished patting down a female passenger, motioned me over and asked if I had a phone in my bag. I told her that I did. She instructed me to get it. It was swabbed for explosives and that was that. I thanked her and told her that she was much nicer than her male colleague. That made he smile.

There were considerably more people in the PreCheck lines than the regular lines. They used one of the area that is normally used for regular screening as an extra PreCheck location. Sign of things to come?