FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Anyone decide to do Un-compensated trip cancellation due to Coronavirus?
Old Feb 8, 2020, 5:45 pm
Dave510

Programs: Ex-Bonvoyed, Hyatt, Hilton, BR, AC, AA
Originally Posted by evergrn
Our trip to Jpn is in a week.
I just looked at BR's seatmap. Compared to a few weeks ago, more open seats in my cabin. A bit more on TPAC outbound, a lot more on return.
You never know what this truly means, but I have to think that a significant number of people have cancelled.
I think things are definitely looking better than I'd have expected a week ago. There were 20 cases in Jpn ~10days ago, and it still only sits at 25.
If you disregard all the media telling you what to think, and just look at cold hard data (e.g. how many people are getting infected over how many days, relative to the population of Japan and also a reasonable estimate of fatality rate), nCoV really isn't a concern in any country, except perhaps mainland China.

The only 2 factors that would deter me from traveling would be significant push back from family members, or concerns about quarantine/refusal for entry to other countries shortly after the Asia trip.