FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Anyone decide to do Un-compensated trip cancellation due to Coronavirus?
Old Feb 8, 2020, 8:29 am
Badenoch
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
That's for the chicken littles and not for those of us who have ice water in our veins. If it's past final payment, you're not going to get much back if anything other than port fees & taxes (if that). Might as well hang tight and wait for the cruiseco to cancel, and airlines too if you have non-refundable tickets (might as well wait until the last possible moment).
There are more chicken littles out there than we might care to believe.

I was in Toronto during SARS. The owner of my favourite Chinese restaurant said his business dropped significantly during the SARS crisis whereas other restaurants didn't notice much affect. The SARS fear was so great that then Prime Minister Jean Chretien made a point of dining at a Chinese restaurant to help shake the stigma.

During the height of the Ebola crisis I was doing project work in Southern Africa. I was asked repeatedly if I was afraid of "the Ebola." A couple of times when I'd mentioned where I'd been working there were people who deliberately moved away from me even though I'd explained I was thousands of kilometers away from the outbreak.

One cruise ship gets quarantined in Japan and panic ensues. People are now cancelling cruises to Europe and the Caribbean even though hundreds of ships are still cruising. People are cancelling flights to Europe scheduled months from now because of a virus in China. It's ridiculous.