FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Award Booking on AI - Still cartoonishly bad
Old Feb 8, 2020, 6:03 am
Keyser
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by PiperAtGatesofDawn
That’s very weird. The site very poorly explains it’s 20%. Also checked a couple of recent bookings and they all say 20%.
try making a dummy booking & get to the t&c page....it clearly says 10%....call ai to cancel a booking & they will also tell you its 10%....

1. AI as usual badly f-ed up. In which case you would get nothing from them. Not even an admission of any kind.
of course they did....& to tell you the truth, if the girl pretending to be the supervisor had apologised & said they would investigate what happened then i would have just let it be....

2. Do you have elite status with AI and the person’s ticket you cancelled doesn’t have elite status or that status was not reflecting in the booking? So when AI first introduced cancellation fees for awards they exempted elites from this fee. When they realised that it was elites who were responsible for the bulk of award cancellations they changed the rules and elites also had to pay the cancellation fee. Now I haven’t been TMC for years now but IIRC - the cancellation fee was the same for elites and muggles. But they could have changed the rule to lower the cancellation fee for elites - though I never heard that they did. But that could be a possible explanation for this.
i have maharajah status & my wife has gold status....the status was definitely reflecting in the booking....

Either ways I wouldn’t hold my breath for AI to payout the balance 10%, I’m sure you’re very familiar dealing with them as it is. Good luck.
not holding my breath at all....we are talking about only 9k miles so its not the end of the world....hopefully me having wasted 20 minutes of my life on the call will have taught this 'supervisor' girl a lesson to not try this with someone else....but then again, this is ai....she probably pretended to be a supervisor with some 32 more passengers over the last week....