FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Wuhan coronavirus outbreak — worries as it spread to HK & beyond
Old Feb 2, 2020, 4:15 pm
STS-134

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Visconti
2. Returned home to USA, and feeling fine. Still 99.9999% certain I'm infection free.
I wouldn't be that certain. Maybe 99.99%, but not 99.9999%. HK has a population of around 7.4 million, and of course some visitors as well. https://www.tourism.gov.hk/english/s...s_perform.html Average number of same-day visitors per day is around 98k (35884854/365) and average number of overnight visitors per day is around 250k (29262701/365) arrivals per day *3.1 days average stay. So at any given point in time, there should be around 7.75M people in the city (it's probably less than that right now, due to the protests and fears of the coronavirus).

There are currently 14 confirmed cases of the coronavirus in HK. So your statistical chance of NOT being one of those cases, if you were some randomly selected person in the city, would actually be close to 99.99982%. And that's assuming that there aren't any people walking around who are infected but not yet diagnosed.

Originally Posted by Visconti
3. As an abundant of caution, planning to stay home for 14 days.
4. Though I was only in HK, some friends & colleagues fear I'm infected, and some wear masks around me.
5. My business partners who suggested I take the trip and treating me persona non-grata for the next 14 days.

I find this rude. They should know I'm well aware of the proper thing to do an self quarantine out of my own volition. So, next time they ask me to travel, I'll abandon all cost restraints and book the most expensive and luxurious hotels, as a tit for tat for their rudeness.

Clear?
Why is it rude that they're just being cautious? You're acting like these people are insulting your character. They're not. Would you rather have them lick your utensils after you've eaten with them? In the unlikely case that you are actually infected, health officials will likely thank them for taking precautions, and hope that the chain of transmission ends with you.