FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AA accounts restricted (Nov/Dec 2019)
View Single Post
Old Feb 1, 2020, 1:55 am
LWT3

Suspension e-mails received yesterday evening

I haven't spent a lot of time in this thread, so I'm not sure if my information would have any value as a data point (I suspect not), but I'll post the basics, and if anyone wants more information, either reply or PM me. I could copy and paste the content if that would be helpful, but I assume that has been done by others more than once.

Accounts locked in early to mid-December, so either the first or second wave. Shutdown e-mails just arrived now, stating the obvious -- banned from program, miles forfeited, itineraries cancelled. No surprise at all. Also, not terribly concerned about the lost miles. We had a very large balance because work schedules made it difficult to burn (travel) as fast as Citi allowed us to earn, but even so, I counted 18 free round trip flights in just the past two years alone, including seven international flights. (Several of these were tickets "bought" for family members using miles, rather than flights we took ourselves).

The only thing mildly surprising to me is that the e-mail is signed by a specific individual. It would be better for the AA employees who are terminating accounts to just say this is coming from Corporate Security or whatever department. No need to put the analyst's real name out there..

One reason I haven't spent much time here is because I believed early on this result was inevitable, and I thought those who were holding out hope were being unrealistic. For people who dabbled in mailers occasionally, that might have been reasonable, but for those who were getting two cards every 65 days, there was just no way the result could be different. As I've said before, when AA asks Citi why they approved over two dozen of the same card for some people, I'd love to see the answer.

I'm a little surprised by the extended discussion on legal action. That seems very unrealistic to me as well.

Last edited by mia; Feb 1, 2020 at 9:48 am Reason: Remove speculation about other posters.