FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Iberia Award ticket cancel Avios refund
View Single Post
Old Jan 30, 2020, 12:22 pm
zsalya_fly

Programs: BA, IB, LH, U2
I am feeling pretty envious of all of you above who managed to at least cancel the flights, even if was then a hassle to get the refunds.
I cannot get as far as cancelling the flights (my wife has just had an emergency operation, and the first flight is on 6th February)
Has anybody managed to cancel flights recently using English rather than Spanish?
I got past the website links to non-existent pages, and the two numbers that are on MYB just not working (that's +34 901 111 500 and +34 901 201 214)
So, then:
+34 917 742 607 on hold for >30 minutes and then cuts me off.
+44 20 3684 3744 first got me an extraordinarily rude agent who suggested I HUCA !
A second time the agent just could not hear me (I am using a UK mobile at my end, and could hear her fine) so we agreed I needed to HUCA.
I eventually got a helpful agent there who also struggled to hear (perhaps they have cheap VOIP and cheap headsets)
He said that he couldn't cancel the reservations it because it needs Iberia+, but he did tell me I could get Iberia+ by calling the UK 3744 number and when the robot asks for what one wants help, saying "Iberia Plus".
That gets to it asking for more details, and both "Cancel Bookings" and "Amend Bookings" lead to the line going quiet, and ten seconds later cutting off.
I tried again and tried "Amend Reservation", which got me a real person. :-)
"You want to amend the reservation"
"No, cancel it because my wife has had an emergency operation"
"You need to email the medical department [email protected]"
"But I'm happy to pay the EUR25 fees"
"No, I can't see whether it is cancellable because it is an Avios ticket"
My confirmations say that the bookings (the first is one flight on IB, the second is one on IB and one on I2) are cancellable until 24 hours before the first flight.
So perhaps he was not actually Iberia+ ?

I have sent the email now, but I fear there will be no prompt response..
Any suggestions?
Time of day? day of week?
I rather suspect I will get "Cancellations cannot be accepted by email" although if I cannot reach them by 'phone I guess I can only email them and then make legal claim afterwards saying they refused any other form of service.
Perhaps I should have been robotic and not mentioned reason for cancellation?