FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - LHR British Airways connection time/hassle questions
Old Jan 30, 2020, 11:15 am
JB in AZ

LHR British Airways connection time/hassle questions

Hi from a less than frequent flyer, and even less frequent poster here...so if this is answered elsewhere, or in the wrong place, please let me know, direct me. I tried searching, but, well, this is a huge forum! Thanks!

We are flying on an AA flight operated by BA to Rome FCO from PHX in Oct 2020 for a cruise. Air tickets are reserved and guaranteed thru Princess EZair Business class to FCO with a 2:45 connection in LHR. Last year we went thru LHR to Copenhagen CPH and it was a nightmare! Same terminal for arrival and departing flights, IIRC, but unfamiliar (to us) security and un-friendly (UK equivalent TSA) agents. We were not knowing what to expect and as we are "older" it was difficult for us. I hesitated to book these flights this year as I wanted to avoid LHR, but the alternatives didn't seem any better. (1:45 in FRA, 7+ hrs in MIA) etc. IIRC, we had to get our baggage in LHR and re-check it onward to CPH??? I could be wrong as we were tired from long flight to LHR, and we had some expectations at that time that were apparently wrong. At that time it was also AA/BA. We would like to know what to expect in LHR this time.

What advice can the experienced group here provide, and, is 2:45 enough I get through the mandatory checks and baggage stuff, and possibly have a few minutes to go to the lounge?

Our return is from Barcelona BCN, and also goes thru LHR.

Besides being less $ than booking through the airlines, these fights can be changed or cancelled with NO fee until Mid Aug, so this is a good way for us to book our flights for a cruise.

I will be happy to give flight numbers, exact times etc if that helps any. Appreciate any insight.
Again, if this has been discussed elsewhere, please advise.

JB