FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Given up on Turo
View Single Post
Old Jan 29, 2020, 1:40 pm
tdott

Programs: Star Alliance Elite
Given up on Turo

After about a year of considering a Turo rental and trying to make one work for one of my trips, I think I have given up trying to make it work and will no longer bother considering trying a turo rental. So yes i've given up without ever even trying one, here is why:
  • No credit card coverage
  • Inconvenient pickup options
  • Low standards for vehicles
  • Low mileage restrictions
  • Horror stories

Why does anyone actually use Turo?
As someone with credit card coverage, 25+, travels frequently, Gold status with Hertz (low bar, but better than nothing). I haven't ever come over an instance in my travels where I could make it work. I usually rent from airports (most cars i would rent have an additional fee, or only available during business hours). If I care about what car I am getting, it's usually because I plan to drive somewhere and actually use the car (PCH in CA, Grand Canyon in Vegas, etc) and they never came with enough mileage. If I'm only doing a few miles and don't care what I drive, traditional rental companies have always been cheaper and more convenient for me. With Hertz, you have ultimate choice options which I've gotten some decent upgrades from, and it's super convenient to walk the aisle choose a car, get in and drive out without ever having to visit a counter.

So I've given up on truing to rent a turo on one of my trips. It just doesn't make sense to me.

The nail in the coffin for me is my trip to CA in a few months, I want to do PCH drive from LA to Bay area and back (round trip). That alone makes it cost prohibitive because of miles, even before I consider my 11:00pm flight arrival and the additional costs for insurance.

It seems a Convertible (Mustang or similar rental) is a much better option for less cost also.

When does Turo ever make any sense?

Last edited by tdott; Oct 17, 2022 at 6:42 am