View Single Post
Old Jan 28, 20, 3:08 am
FlyerTalker688786
Suspended

Don't worry, PB will be coming back. But we may have to wait the Coronavirus thing getting controlled. As things stand, IHG's second biggest market China is effectively in a self lock down. Many hotels are temporarily closed for business (e.g. Hilton Garden Inn in Shanghai, Conrad Hangzhou etc.) Some hotels raised rate to BAR to stop people booking and in preparation of shut down temporarily (i.e. InterContinental Zhuhai).

As we speak, US government has a travel warning on China and it is currently Level 3; Costa Cruises cancelled all China departures for February; airlines are shut down routes (i.e. Cathay Dragon extended the shut down of Wuhan route to end of March and cancelled all overnight in China). The impact of this Wuhan virus will be felt across the travel industry. IHG will unfortunately need to wait and see. They need to evaluate how many hotels in China would be effected and for how long. Any global promotion needs to be reevaluated.

Thus, I think it is safe to say that PB may suffer a short break. But it will be back once situation is stabilized as IHG will need PB to stimulate demands and to fill the empty rooms. Remember last year when Hong Kong was truly suffering, IHG quietly lowered points redemption level of all Hong Kong hotels? There are too many uncertainty now. But it is safe to say IHG will utilize the tool of discounted redemption (whether in PB form or not) to try to lure members to spend in its hotels.