FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 2020 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A Thread: All Welcome, New and Old!
Old Jan 27, 2020, 7:21 pm
Tweed Jet Set

Originally Posted by safari ari
1) Where you sit has no bearing on your upgrade probability or position. Sit where it seems the best for you. Premium seats open up for MVP at T-48 so you can freely select those then. I can't say the odds of an MVP UG, but Thursday is a very popular time to fly westbound for business people who are more likely to have status or pay for the seats. But, you never know, just don't plan on it.

2) If you call from the app then you should be sent to the dedicated MVP line, not sure where else the number is as I just use that number then save it.
Thanks. I figured Thursday night would be tough with business travelers. My question was just around the upgrades from exit row, since Alaska's website says they don't upgrades from those. It makes sense now why they do that and now I know it's only for Premium upgrades and not upgrades to First.

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
Alaska won't automatically move you to a premium seat from an EE row. This is because many people prefer EE to premium. It does not affect first class upgrades.

The fact that AS won't automatically move you to premium doesn't mean much. That almost never works anyway. If you prefer to be in a premium seat, just check the app as soon as your upgrade window opens, and you can select any premium seat for free. This is better than waiting for them to do it automatically even if you are not in an EE seat. Basically, premium seat assignments are a free for all. It's first come, first served once your upgrade window opens. When I was MVP I always did this and got my premium seats while Golds who didn't bother to do this were stuck in regular economy.

EE seats generally have a bit (really, just a little bit) more legroom than premium seats, but premium gets you unlimited free drinks and a small snack. The choice is yours! Why AS does not classify EE as premium is beyond me.

And, again, none of this has anything to do with it first class upgrade chances. Also, you may very well get upgraded. I've been on plenty of SFO-NYC and back flights where the upgrade list completely cleared. I am also seeing a lot of $119 R fares with available U space on that route (I'm on one on a Thursday night, coincidentally), so I'm guessing that you have a decent shot. Neither NYC or SFO are particularly elite-heavy (if you were flying to SEA you'd basically have no chance)
Thanks for all the info. I didn't realize that Premium upgrades were such a free for all, I assumed they were just processed in order. Thank for the data points!

Originally Posted by rustykettel
Without having access to the records or interviewing the gate agent, it's hard to tell. My guess is she was offloading you and just stuck you back in any seat. Alaska does tend to board early, often in advance of the scheduled boarding time (Horizon flights are generally the opposite) and if you're not in the boarding area by the cutoff time T-30, your seat assignment and reservation including any down line flights may be cancelled.

Having said that, there's no reason other than an imminent safety danger for an AS employee to yell at you. Please do fill out the post flight survey at alaskalistens.com.
Yeah, I probably overstated the yelling, she just seemed stressed and anxious.

Originally Posted by cragAK
You might get lucky. Not the same route, but I was upgraded LAX-JFK and JFK-LAX last January as a lowly MVP. When booking I always just grab the most forward seat I can for quicker disembarking and hope I get bumped into Premium or F.
Thanks for the suggestion and data point.