FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 2020 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A Thread: All Welcome, New and Old!
Old Jan 25, 2020, 2:28 pm
safari ari

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
Originally Posted by Tweed Jet Set
Just managed to squeak over 20K miles in December so I'm MVP for the first time.

Few newbie questions:

1) I'm imagining I'm not too likely to get moved to F on a Thurs. night Westbound NYC-SFO flight as a low fare class MVP, right? I originally grabbed an exit row seat, but it seems like if you're seated in an exit row, you're not eligible to be upgraded. Do people just pick a "preferred" seat and hope to be upgraded? Or is it better to play it safe and stay in exit row? Or do people just switch if they don't get upgraded?

2) The MVP benefits page mentions a "dedicated phone line", but I can't find what the number is anywhere. Is it actually a separate phone number? That's how it was on AA.
1) Where you sit has no bearing on your upgrade probability or position. Sit where it seems the best for you. Premium seats open up for MVP at T-48 so you can freely select those then. I can't say the odds of an MVP UG, but Thursday is a very popular time to fly westbound for business people who are more likely to have status or pay for the seats. But, you never know, just don't plan on it.

2) If you call from the app then you should be sent to the dedicated MVP line, not sure where else the number is as I just use that number then save it.