FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - *Coronavirus : BA Suspends all flts to mainland China* +discussion on long haul flts
Old Jan 25, 2020, 3:34 am
strickers

Programs: BA Nada, HH Diamond, IHG Spire AMB, Marriott Plat, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by Fyvie Flyer
I am currently in Shanghai with Mrs FF having flown out on Wednesday. Our plan was to fly on to Chengdu on Monday then up to Harbin on Friday for the winter Ice Festival. However, most of the tourist attractions, even here in Shanghai, are now closed. Having liaised with our China internal tour manager, we have reluctantly decided to cancel the remainder of our trip and have managed to get BA to change our return flights to Tuesday albeit in Club World rather than First (Avios 241 booking).

Whilst I dont have any great concern for our personal safety with regards the virus the fact that there is not much to actually do (esp as it's done nothing but rain since we arrived) led to a decision to call it quits.

The numbers of people currently suspected of having the virus - whilst they may sound alarming - are as a percentage of the population still very low. Most of the reported deaths seem to be in naturally vulnerable groups - aged/pre-existing conditions etc. That may well change of course as time passes.

My advice to anyone thinking of heading this way is - dont be panicked by the virus itself but if you are coming thinking of visiting tourist attractions - forget it for now. E.G. Chengdu Panda Bases are all closed, nearly all Shanghai attractions seem to be closed as well. Hotel check-in are doing the 'gun to the forehead' and recording guest temperatures, everyone out and about are wearing masks. Overall, it's not a particularly pleasant experience..

I will update if I learn anything new.

FF
Thanks for that, flying out on Monday but heading to Hanoi 30 hours after arrival. Sounds like we will be staying in the hotel then.