FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Eating moderately- reservations needed?
View Single Post
Old Jan 25, 2020, 12:26 am
evergrn

Originally Posted by freecia
Kewpie makes an egg yolk like product for combini bento. Some people here are big fans of Japanese eggs https://soranews24.com/2020/01/15/fa...-store-bentos/ so perhaps you were picking up on it being slightly... different. Combini meals operate on slim margins and fierce competition.
I had not heard about this fake egg thing (I don't like eggs too much anyways), but thanks for letting us know! It does not surprise me.
I'm a huge fan of Japanese konbini and the whole concept, but don't like konbini bentos. I know a lot of people here think they're great, but this is my personal opinion.
I just think konbini bentos are crap, and I think really about the only ready-made food at konbini that's healthy is salad. But then konbini salads are so mediocre because it's usually a small layer of leaves and things sitting on top of a bed of sliced cabbage.
I'm sure you're correct that they operate on slim margin and so they're going to battle with taste and price. Which inevitably compromises the ingredients.
I've never been a fan of konbini bentos to begin with, but I've always loved their onigiri (rice triangle) until my mom started telling me to avoid them since they're full of oil and additives. Turns out she's right. I still sometimes buy onigiri at konbini out of necessity (stopped buying konbini bentos a long time ago), but I don't feel great about eating them and feel a bit guilty feeding that to my kids for lunch. If you want quality onigiri, go to Omusumi Gonbei and you will see the difference in quality.