FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The Definitive Discussion of Emotional Support Animals on Airlines
Old Jan 24, 2020, 5:32 pm
QtownDave
Suspended

Originally Posted by Qwkynuf
I'd like to know more about this thought.

Why would deaf people be excluded from assistance?

I don't know what services are available, though I should probably look into it. I have a medium-to-severe hearing loss, and I manage with hearing aids. One of the side effects of that combination is that what I *am* able to hear is almost completely non-directional. I have no idea what direction the sound of a baby crying, or a siren, or the beep-beep horn of the carts in US airports might be coming from. When I remove my hearing aids at night, I am unable to hear my home's smoke or burglar alarms. I have a special alarm clock that shakes my bed instead of making noise. If a dog were able to help with those things, it would be a marked improvement in my quality of life.

Obviously a dog wouldn't be much help for those things on a plane, but a plane is just a tool that I use to get from one place to another - and I would benefit on both ends.

Do you feel that deaf people are inferior? Or less worthy of assistance?

What I said was " I'm not sure deaf people need a dog" meaning that blind people obviously do but I wasn't sure about deaf people. We have completely deaf people in our family and they don't have dogs. {deleted}

Last edited by StartinSanDiego; Jan 24, 2020 at 7:04 pm Reason: overly personal