FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 2020 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A Thread: All Welcome, New and Old!
Old Jan 24, 2020, 4:43 pm
VegasGambler
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ctporter
I am flying to CHS with my SO for a conference in October. My round trip Main Cabin/PE fare (they are the same price for me due to my 75k status) was $468 his was $135.23 which is a difference of $332.77. I consider that a huge savings and am happy to take advantage of it. We are both in PE and are FC wait listed. In addition, I do get miles due to using that card, so it works for us quite well. For my work trips I am required to use the corporate card that provides zero benefits to me, so by using the companion fare provisions I was able to convince our managers to let me use the AS card and get a benefit
I'm glad that you get use out of it. Many here do!

I usually travel alone. Even when I don't, it's rare that my dates and match up exactly with someone else's. I don't think I have ever booked a round trip on the same PNR as someone else.

I used to get companion passes with the old VX card too. Every single one expired unused.

My sign-up companion pass (the free one, not the $99 one) expires in March and I'm happy to let it go.

I also don't think that the AS card is a particularly good one for booking flights. I booked some flights last night and I was happy to put them on my new Amex Plat for 5x pts. Previously I preferred to use my CSR for the travel insurance in addition to 3x pts.

For me the best benefit of the card is the discount on in-flight purchases. I don't buy enough F&C plates to make the card worthwhile though. That's a lot of cheese...