FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - *Coronavirus : BA Suspends all flts to mainland China* +discussion on long haul flts
Old Jan 24, 2020, 3:04 pm
Mozart0815

Programs: Swiss Senator, Flying Blue Gold, BA EC Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Honestly I don’t see a reason to panic. The core of the question is how dangerous this virus really is.

We now have officially a bit less than 1000 confirmed cases with less than 30 confirmed deaths. From more detailed report it seems like the deaths typically are the elderly with secondary conditions that would have a similar death toll with a regular flu or pneumonia, which both by the way kill tens of thousands per year but it never makes the headlines.

From everything I see we are not talking about a SARS let alone MERS severity virus.

And I’m writing this having just flown back from PKX two days ago.

And don’t forget we are talking less than a thousand confirmed cases for 1.4 bn Chinese. Feel free to do the maths.

On top of this the Chinese government is taking drastic measures to contain the spread from the original province prior to Chinese New Year travel season.

I’m not saying be completely reckless but honestly you are significantly more likely to be killed by Beijing traffic (or even in the Uber to LHR) than by this virus given what we know now.