FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - JW Marriott Guanacaste, Costa Rica [Master Thread]
Old Jan 24, 2020, 9:46 am
beachfan

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by azepine00
How does JWM compare to Andaz? (family travel prospective is most useful)

Normally i would go for Andaz but i have travel package cert which i can perhaps upgrade to use at JWM - with a car we should be able to find enough to do for 6-7 days...
Got back from 5 nights at both the Andaz and JW.

JW is much larger, more spread out, much less vertical. Pool is great, ability to take long walks on the beach is great. (Getting back at high tide wasn't an issue on the days we went, but that could vary by time of month). Sunsets are amazing.

Arrived on NYE and they didn't require us to attend the $225 beach party, we went to the bar and had burgers and watched from the terrace. Quite a spectacular, long display.

Hotel was totally full, and was told no upgrade. Garden view rooms were a good size. Although I requested the nicest room in my category via phone the morning of check in, I got what I though was one of the poorest rooms - a ground floor room with no privacy, and near a busy walkway. They said it was a better room because the terrace is bigger than the balcony, and perhaps they believed that. I got a room change the next day, to what was still a garden view but had a partial ocean view. If you are in a balcony Garden View room, request 4th floor or higher.

It was my wife's birthday and they did make the room up very festively.

I was told I had a choice of Platinum room for breakfast or regular buffet - I took the buffet each day so can't comment on the difference. There was a resort fee which included many activities (choose each one only once) - I didn't do any of them. Took the shuttle to Tamarindo one day, it was $12 one way , $20 return. A cab is now $35. No platinum discount that I was aware of.

No beach club was mentioned, I forgot Vickie SoCal's comments on that, would be disappointed if I missed it.

Had meals in Habanero, the burger bar, and the Italian restaurant. I found the fresh fish, which I had each meal other than the burger, to be excellent. Always corvina that week, but the different sauces made it nice. They only had fresh fish at the Italian restaurant on the menu for lunch - I had them hold a portion until dinner. Fresh vegetables were also good, normally I don't care for zucchini, but all the zucchini I had in Costa Rica was delicious.

I'd say that the food at the Andaz is a full step up in quality, especially breakfast. Andaz is extremely hilly, golf carts are easy to get. It's so hilly that I hurt my back midway in the stay (it acts up on steep slopes). Andaz has the more luxurious feeling (plus I confirmed a suite in advance using a Tier Suite Upgrade available to Hyatt Globs). Pool for a family is better at the Marriott. Andaz has an adults only pool, great for lap swimming as well as lounging.

No sunset view at Andaz, JW Marriott sunset view is awesome.

Tamarindo is a lively tourist beach town with a long beach great for walking at sunsets. Nothing equivalent near the Andaz.

If I was going only for 5 days (adult couple), I'd choose the Andaz. I enjoyed both places and would stay at both again if I was there for 10 days.

For families with young children in strollers, JW seemed better because of ease of getting around and big pool