FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Hilton Queenstown Resort & Spa {NZL}
View Single Post
Old Jan 22, 2020, 10:57 pm
roelb

Programs: Delta GM; FB Plat; HHonors Diamond; Hertz PC; National EE
I am in this property at the moment, am diamond.

I initially booked a 1 bedroom residence suite and we (unfortunately) stayed in that room (3404) on night #1 . The hotel was fully booked. The only advice I can give on that room type is: don't! There is aircon in the living room, but not in the bedroom. And the setup is such that the living room aircon won't give any airflow or refriguration in the (tiny) bedroom, which was hot and stuffy even though we were vemtilating it for hours in between 6pm and midnight. I ended up sleeping a few hours on the living room floor until the bedroom cooled down a bit, with the help of a fan that the hotel finally provided.

Other rokm features: there is a single queen bed in there with one foot of space around it. That's all. No room for your luggage at all. The bathroom is tiny as well and the living room/kitchen area is cramped. There is both a dinging table with 4 chairs and a single two seater couch, but if you want to use the dining table you'll have to move the couch aside, or you won't be able to squeeze between the chairs and the table. You are facing the back of the hotel, on the road in between the doubletree and the residence building. It is noisy with a lit of traffic passing there, even jn the early morning. And the room is half a level up from the hallway, with a staircase directly behind the door, which is a major hassle with luggage. The kitchen has an oven, microwave, hob and large fridge, but is limited on utensils. No cutting board, no oven gloves or anyrhing similar (we eventually used a wetted bathroom towel), exactly two forks, two knives, two plates, etc. The bed was very soft, to a level what I would consider sagged. The balcony was quite large, but not much use. You are besides a road, all the doubletree rooms are looking down on you and the condenser for the aircon is the main furniture piece on the balcony. They should have used that vakuable floor space for the room.

1BR Residence entry

1BR residence tiny master bedroom

1BR residence kitchen and living room.

1BR residence suite tiny bathroom

After one night, we moved to a standard deluxe king with "lake view" on the reception floor (1401). That room is much, much better appointed and more roomy. Large and well appointed bathroom, central aircon that has some airflow over the bed, seating area with the same two seater couch as well as an additional 1 seater, a small balcony, a mini fridge and a limited view of a corner of the lake. So except for for the full kitchen and dining table, you are far better off in a regular room. The higher floor rooms probably do have an actual lake view, as they will have you look over the front building.

I was offered the two bedroom lakeview residence after the first night, but declined as that room has no aircon in the bedroom either. All the residence rooms just have a split unit aircon in the living room. The regular hotel rooms have a classic duct based system with central controls.

Breakfast is very good with very friendly staff. We got the full breakfast option included as diamond. Self parking was comped as we did not get an upgrade, although I would have preferred the wakapito or (even better), the relaxation suite over the comped parking.

The pool is very long but narrow and there are a lot of kids in there, up to closure time (10pm). So getting a few laps in is hard, navigating in between kids continuously jumping in or worse, bombing. Too bad they don't have a few adults only hours or leave the pool area open 24/7.

Other benefits we got: 2 drink vouchers per night and a box of 6 (very good) chocolates as welcome gift. Service and staff attention is very good.

"Lake view" from room 1401

So overall it's a very nice property. Just keep far away from the residence rooms until they refit those with an aircon in the bedroom. And try to get either a room in the front building or a room on floor 6 or 7 for some real lakeview.