FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Wuhan coronavirus outbreak — worries as it spread to HK & beyond
Old Jan 22, 2020, 1:22 pm
wco81
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Originally Posted by tentseller
Just a heads up to the must go to HK FTers - There is no retail stock of N95 breathing mask as the hospital authority has put a hold on all outstanding stocks.

The proper authorities might implement a more stringent health scan for returnees from China.

The good side is that many who went through 2003 are being more careful with precautions.

If you need to bring a gift, a box of N95 mask would be most welcome and appreciated just like in 2003.
Originally Posted by tentseller
You should buy an N95 grade mask and wear it on the plane as well as during your layover time at HKIA. There will travellers originating from China in the departure area.
One is not sure about the plane as well.

Take care of yourself. I personally do not like wearing breathing mask as well but I wear them to not suffer the potential consequences.
OK, I see a CDC bulletin about using N95 respirators for SARS.

It's interesting, drugs stores in the US stock "antiviral masks" which are cheap, like under $10 for a box of disposable ones.

But the N95 respirators, some of them with holes to allow easier breathing, are marketed at home improvement stores for things like working with paint or other work where you want to filter out particulate matter. CDC lists some brands of 3M but the 3M Cool Flow doesn't even mention blocking out viruses.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/3M-N95-W...B2-A/202077815

So what is it, anything with N95 designation indicates a thick membrane which would block viral pathogens?