FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Coronavirus / COVID-19 : general fact-based reporting
Old Jan 21, 2020, 3:27 pm
jiejie

Programs: various
I lived through SARS in Beijing in 2003. It was a strange time and ended up being quite disruptive not only to travel, but to aspects of daily life. It was a key factor in tanking the business that I worked for at the time, and in many of my friends at the time departing from Beijing for good (some had no choice, their organizations sent them elsewhere as a precautionary measure). While this new virus so far doesn't seem as virulent or transmissable, it doesn't sound like something to underestimate, either. If you live in China, your course of action is limited by your work obligations and sense of (in)vulnerability. If you were planning a pleasure or family visit trip to pretty much anywhere in China between now and end of March, my advice is to cancel/reschedule. If a non-essential business trip, do the same or use technology to accomplish what you can. Genie is out of the bottle, and this outbreak isn't going to be limited to Wuhan, particularly with the Spring Festival travel season in full swing. I agree with hedging of bets by use of travel insurance. If waiting on making a decision is an option, do so, and see if airlines, agents, etc. will issue a waiver or non-penalty policy for changes made to travel in this area. I think we'll know a lot more about how serious and how controllable this disease is going to be, in about 6-8 weeks.