FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - *Coronavirus : BA Suspends all flts to mainland China* +discussion on long haul flts
Old Jan 21, 2020, 3:41 am
plunet

Programs: BAEC
Currently in Qingdao, the Chinese Government are now taking this very seriously.
  • First case of the virus has turned up in this city from someone who has visited Wuhan.
  • Five hospitals in this city of 9 million people have been designated as being qualified to handle possible cases of infection.
  • All leave over the spring festival for relevant qualified medical staff has been cancelled and they have to be within an hour or so of their medical base.
  • All passengers on flights already being screened throughout the country. Action plan to put body temperature scanners in at train stations and other long distance hubs being implemented at high speed.
  • Government are encouraging the population to take sensible precautions, wear face masks, drink more water, wash hands, etc.
  • My friends here say that there is a slight uptick in the use of face masks so far but many people wear them usually at this time of the year especially in the north when it's cold.

If any government in this world would have a fighting chance of controlling this outbreak my guess is that China has to be at the top of the list, they have the resources to do so, and appear to have the political will behind this. I am sure the big data machine is hard at work in China already trying to join the dots. It's really unfortunate that so many people in China are due to travel at this time of year and that will increase those risks. I guess we will all have to watch this space.

Last edited by plunet; Jan 21, 2020 at 3:46 am