FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Anybody here switch to Diamond from Bonvoy Plat?
Old Jan 20, 2020, 12:46 pm
Alohashirt

Programs: Mileage Plus, Miles and More
Anybody here switch to Diamond from Bonvoy Plat?

I've had Marriott Platiunim for the last three years. Over the last year, Platinum has been pretty underwhelming for the type of traveling I do (mostly business). When I've stayed at actual Marriotts, the lounges have been putting out cheaper food and getting more crowded. On the lower end, Courtyards and Residence Inns have been inferior to Hilton Garden Inns and Homewoods in almost every way. I rarely get the suite upgrades, and those are use-or-lose each year. And when I do redeem for vacations, it seems like everywhere I go has a hefty "resort fee" or destination fee.

I usually stay 30-40 nights a year-- and my Marriott credit card boosts me another 15 nights. That puts me right on the edge of qualification level. I also have Hilton Gold thanks to my AMEX Platinum card. So far, that Hilton Gold hasn't meant much to me other than a "free" breakfast-- which is usually comparable to what I find in Marriott lounges. I really don't care much about breakfast since I'm not into that meal and have a generous expense account. What I DO care about are:

1. Access to decent lounges, especially outside of the US.
2. Hassle-free redemptions when I take vacations
3. Late checkouts-- Rarely later than 2:00 PM. Here's where Marriott has been good. During my few Hilton stays last year, getting a 2 PM checkout as a Gold was no problem-- but I've heard that even Diamonds often have to beg and plead for even 2 PM. And 4:00 is out of the question, at least that's what I've heard. Once or twice a year 4 PM is nice when I have late flights, but it's not a deal-breaker.
4. Finally-- I sometimes come up about 3-4 nights short of Platinum qualification at the end of the year and end up doing "mattress runs." With Hilton, I could just get an Aspire card and be done chasing status.

So do my priorities make Diamond worth ditching Marriott for? I'd appreciate hearing from some Bonvoy ex-Plats on this!