FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - New Premier Qualification Requirements for 2020: Only Spend or Spend + Flight Sectors
Old Jan 18, 2020, 11:55 am
STS-134

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
How in the heck did I miss this article? https://onemileatatime.com/frequent-...ogram-changes/

Has the absolute best quote I have seen from an article assessing the changes to MP for 2020:
Let me play devil’s advocate for a moment here (and this isn’t how I feel, but I don’t think the logic is any worse than what United is using) — I think United should stop awarding miles for tickets booked as part of exclusive corporate contracts.

Let’s look at Apple for example, as United has their biggest corporate contract with them, and Apple employees flying between the Bay Area and Asia exclusively fly United.

United wants to reward their “most loyal” customers, but is someone flying United without choosing to do so actually loyal? It’s like suggesting I’m “loyal” to the IRS because I pay my taxes every year — I have no choice!
I think the author indeed hit the nail on the head. UA will be getting dollars from Apple employees regardless of whether it rewards them or not, because those folks have no choice. But every dollar I threw at UA up until the end of last year was discretionary and my choice.