FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - DL 89 Fuel Dump onto School LAX to PVG
View Single Post
Old Jan 18, 2020, 7:43 am
readywhenyouare
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by defrosted
You know I will say, if, God forbid, the plane had crashed and dumping the fuel had saved hundreds of lives, yet still caused the same problems to those effected by dumping of the fuel would we have found it acceptable?

Don't get me wrong, I am not advocating dumping fuel over residential areas, or seemingly lying about it, I am just curious if the outcome of the emergency (plane didn't crash) changes the reactions to the fuel dump?
Oh good lord. A compressor stall does not lead to a crash. It is a routine occurrence. And they followed the checklist and had the engine operating normally again. Of course you wouldn't continje the flight across the ocean but there was no pressing issue to land immediately. If they wanted to dump fuel they should have followed the regulations. They didn't. Trying to put of the blame on ATC grammar is just silly. The crew is supposed to know the requirements for fuel dumps. The poor crews of Alaska 261 and Valujet 592 were in actual danger and did a much better job of keeping ATC informed.