FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Trip Report: Turkish Airlines 777-300ER Los Angeles - Istanbul
Old Jan 17, 2020, 8:08 pm
johnsw1988

Originally Posted by BobFF68
My review on 777-300 CGK-IST

I “steal” this thread for sharing my trip review as it was my first flight on TK J class on the same B777-300 even on the opposite direction.

Came back end of November from my usual trip CGK to Europe return, I'm not keen and I'm too lazy for sharing a real trip report as there are so many already, no photo either they would be very similar to the one OP shared above. I wanted to add my main impressions and eventually knowing others experience.

I do the same trip 2-3 times per year, often with whole family (of 3) or just with my now 5 yo daughter, since the last 3 years mostly J class, ever flown EY, SV, QR and WY always on the same route while about EK was too long ago to compare. For different reasons I often change airline and this time was I tried TK after more than a decade not using them; my main decision are based on budget at first then trying to get a decent flying experience accordingly, avoiding too long transit as it is already a never ending trip of 26-28 hours home to home.

Main observations:

Before flying

Check in experience was a breeze both at CGK and at MXP. At CGK was surprised of being called by name by the agent when I was still 10 meters from the desk (nobody in line), I guess he recognized us as I was the only J passenger traveling with child, he had to inform me our selected seats 2 A/B IFE was not working properly thus he request us to move to 1 A/B and I promptly confirmed. In Jakarta no priority security and passport controls, anyway everything required no more than 10-15 minutes.

In Milan the CI agent request me to reduce the XL trolley weight as it was 34 kg; my bad, I didn’t realize I put too much of my usual survival stuff (wine, salami, parmigiano, coffee, chocolate and other ‘oleh oleh’ for parents and friends) thus I had to move 2 kg to the cabin bag.

No issue regarding boarding as J and elite passengers’ lines are generally well guarded.

On the planes

About aircrafts and seats, short haul to/from MXP on A321 and 330 definitely good considering less than 3 hours flight, even seats are old school recliners they are still the best you can get on intra-Europe flights.

About 777 for the long haul I had mixed feelings, cabin and toilet were clean and tidy, IFE has a decent selection and the new type screen (remote smartphone style) is good enough. Yes, seats are wide and comfortable to sleep, but I was missing the privacy that competitors offer, I also found the cabin style too minimalist in addition to the high number of seats it gave me the sensation of a “flying dormitory”. Even more if unlucky enough to end up sitting in the middle seat of 3 central I definitely wouldn’t be happy. Somebody here may disagree but I prefer WY and QR seats, except maybe the QR A330 (and I am not considering Q suites that I never tried), I’m just 1.73 meter and lightweight thus I usually not facing issues of J short or cramped seats or foot cubicle phobia.

Concerning amenity kits, for children they distribute specific ones with some toys and smaller headsets. My daughter liked them, not sure they are the same they give in economy or not.

About service onboard same as the OP, I found it professional but quite cold, overall on the two long legs the impression is that they just want to finish as soon as possible, little interaction even with my daughter while I found most that on other airlines FA try to be more friendly and caring with kids even on economy. In this respect, I find QR and WY superior (EY depends), especially on QR is more polished, the crew normally tries to interact and going the extra mile, asking frequently if everting is fine, refilling drinks and so on.

I also have to admit while my past QR flights were only around 70% full, this time all TR flights were packed with Y full and J with just one or two seats left I guess they did different opups. I was thinking that mid November to be low season time, on the contrary realized how groups of Haj/Umrah pilgrims are filling up the CGK route almost all year round.

I found the food quality good, overall better than QR and EY, just the variety was quite limited on CGK legs, in difference with OP trip, I couldn’t recall any starter or dessert trolley. Otw to CGK I found odd to be served breakfast 3 hours before landing (3 pm Jakarta time or 11 am at IST), as I preferred to sleep at 3 am for the “dinner” after takeoff, I thought before landing they were offering some lunch options, but no way, just breakfast, take or leave it.

Same as with other airlines I always had the feeling that SE Asia routes, Jakarta for sure, to be considered as second-class route just like a bus to transfer crowds of pilgrims or overseas workers, thus they prefer to leave their best crew and equipment for Europe or North America.

As everyone already mention, at IST always very looong taxing, one flight above 4 was bus connected, long walking, good lounges, crowded both on a Saturday morning and a Sunday night but still managed to find seats and grab some food.

Check in baggage always returned quickly with other priority ones.

Conclusions

In general, the overall experience was OK with no issues; I would rate TK a solid 4/5.

I’d prefer flying QR if sold at similar price; about WY not anymore, due to they are totally unreliable in term of both schedule changes and not existent customer service in case any problem occur, even more the era of WY cheap J tickets is already over, at least from CGK. EK J product is always priced higher than the other mentioned even during sales, thus I do not expect to fly again with them soon.

If TK will maintain similar current price policy I am ready to fly them again next.
Feel free to steal the thread! :-) And thanks for your trip report! Yeah I'm glad I'm not alone about TK crews. Besides Asian carriers, QR is definitely more polished than TK.