FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Western chain hotels in Tokyo and Kyoto
View Single Post
Old Jan 17, 2020, 12:14 pm
ksandness

Programs: UA, NW
Originally Posted by ShopAround
I've pretty much decided on Kyoto. Not into nightlife (I'm a woman traveling alone and don't plan on venturing out at night other than for dinner) and while I like cities, I'm thinking Kyoto might be a nice break after Toyko (and I do plan to make a day trip to Nara).

That's why I made the decision to base in either Kyoto or Osaka rather than doing a couple of nights in each - easier with the lag time in luggage delivery.

I don't see any western chain hotels around HND, so I'll either pay for one last night near the airport or overnight around Toyko Station - I still haven't booked anything yet for this trip, so that'll probably depend on train and flight times.
Kyoto is a large city, but it doesn't feel like one, and it's definitely more atmospheric than Osaka. Definitely go to Nara for an experience that is different from Kyoto.

Don't worry about staying in a Japanese chain hotel. Even the cheap ones are spotlessly clean and safe. You can't use your American points, but if all you need is a bed for the night and coffee and a bit of food in the morning before heading for HND, your choices are nearly limitless. I've been a budget traveler in Japan (usually as a single female traveler) for forty years, and I've found only one exception to the "clean and safe" rule.

If you're going in September, be aware that it could still be quite hot (Tokyo is on the same latitude as Chattanooga, Tennessee).