FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Western chain hotels in Tokyo and Kyoto
View Single Post
Old Jan 17, 2020, 10:28 am
ShopAround

Programs: DL PM MM SC; GE; Bonvoy Titanium; IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by northsideguy
I personally prefer Kyoto but that is just my opinion. Kyoto is a better base for Nara and Nagoya, while Osaka is better for Kobe and the south. Osaka has a more vibrant nightlife scene, but I find Kyoto more relaxing. There will be a JW Marriott Nara opening this year by the Kintetsu Nara Line. I have also stay in the Hotel Granvia Kyoto. This is in the Kyoto Station Complex. It was very good to use as a base for transportation. Have not been to the Ritz but it is near to the Tozai Line which is the same line for the Westin. Going to be back in Kansai in April and hope to catch a Hanshin Tigers ballgame and wear my Cubs Fukudome jersey.
I've pretty much decided on Kyoto. Not into nightlife (I'm a woman traveling alone and don't plan on venturing out at night other than for dinner) and while I like cities, I'm thinking Kyoto might be a nice break after Toyko (and I do plan to make a day trip to Nara).
Be advised, if you use the Takuhaibin, overnight luggage delivery service, you need to drop it off the day before you check out, if you want it at the next hotel for your arrival. Ask the hotel what is the cutoff time. I usually drop off the luggage in the morning before I go out for the day so I don’t have to rsh back to the hotel. Keep your carryon with you as there overhead racks on the bullet trains for you.
That's why I made the decision to base in either Kyoto or Osaka rather than doing a couple of nights in each - easier with the lag time in luggage delivery.
At HND, there is the Edo-Koji shopping area, with a motif is that of Edo period. For future reference, near NRT is the City of Narita. It is a convent and a nice side trip for a long layover or day visit before the evening flights back to the States.
I don't see any western chain hotels around HND, so I'll either pay for one last night near the airport or overnight around Toyko Station - I still haven't booked anything yet for this trip, so that'll probably depend on train and flight times.