FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Western chain hotels in Tokyo and Kyoto
View Single Post
Old Jan 17, 2020, 10:09 am
northsideguy

Originally Posted by ShopAround
Thank you, northsideguy , for your thoughtful response. I was looking at the Prince properties but unfortunately, none of them are available as points stays for my dates. I can book the Westin but I think the Hilton Shinjuku sounds like a better location.

I'm still a little indecisive about where to stay after Tokyo. I decided to choose either Osaka or Kyoto as a base. Many people recommended Kyoto, would you agree with that? Both the Ritz-Carlton and Westin have points availability for my dates in both cities.

I did read about the luggage delivery service, which I really like (sounds like a pleasure after having schlepped my bags all around Europe on trains on past trips). I'll be flying in and out of HND, so my plan is the airport bus to my hotel on arrival > five or six nights in Tokyo > Shinkansen to Osaka or Kyoto > five nights there (with day trips) > Shinkansen back to Tokyo for one last night before departing the next day (I'm a DL/SkyTeam flyer, so I don't really have good options out of KIX).
I personally prefer Kyoto but that is just my opinion. Kyoto is a better base for Nara and Nagoya, while Osaka is better for Kobe and the south. Osaka has a more vibrant nightlife scene, but I find Kyoto more relaxing. There will be a JW Marriott Nara opening this year by the Kintetsu Nara Line. I have also stay in the Hotel Granvia Kyoto. This is in the Kyoto Station Complex. It was very good to use as a base for transportation. Have not been to the Ritz but it is near to the Tozai Line which is the same line for the Westin. Going to be back in Kansai in April and hope to catch a Hanshin Tigers ballgame and wear my Cubs Fukudome jersey.

Be advised, if you use the Takuhaibin, overnight luggage delivery service, you need to drop it off the day before you check out, if you want it at the next hotel for your arrival. Ask the hotel what is the cutoff time. I usually drop off the luggage in the morning before I go out for the day so I don’t have to rsh back to the hotel. Keep your carryon with you as there overhead racks on the bullet trains for you.

At HND, there is the Edo-Koji shopping area, with a motif is that of Edo period. For future reference, near NRT is the City of Narita. It is a convent and a nice side trip for a long layover or day visit before the evening flights back to the States.