FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - “Tax, gratuity and service charges” Globalist Benefit
Old Jan 16, 2020, 11:23 am
Matt4200

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by 0073735963
I had the same issues last year as well. In my case, the hotel breakfast didn’t have a service charge line item, only my discretionary gratuity. Sure maybe the tip is just $5 but that’s $5 that per the terms, seems like it should be covered. It was charged to the room and I was billed for it. Talked over Twitter and got it refunded, but this is definitely a smart benefit that has issues in application.
Tbh I didn’t even notice the “service charge” on the actual receipt. I’m not sure if it was on there or if it was added later either. Because for breakfast on the first day we both got the $27 buffet which after tax was $60 (and change), I recall leaving a $10 tip which is 20% and the total being not over $70 (and change). Had there been a “service charge” on that first day’s bill the total would’ve been roughly $78 which I would’ve found absurd. I honestly don’t recall that at all, is it possible it wasn’t charged the first day which led to the other days not even checking/looking for a service charge? Hmm.

Typically when restaurants have one they have signs posted or someone will let you know. It’s charged to everyone, not just Globs so I’d think it’d be beneficial for signage to be up that way people aren’t wondering why they have a “service charge”.