FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Question: "Your are not boarding tonight, you're being deported", for asking gate agent's name?
Old Jan 15, 2020, 11:34 am
WR Cage

Programs: AC Basic, UA MP Gold, Marriott Gold Elite, SPG Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by rxgeek
I have never worked at a company where you may refuse your name when asked. As usual, it is the cover-up that gets you in trouble. The agent may not get reprimanded for disagreeing with the pax, but should for refusing his name or employee.
I am aware of a long (as in 20+ year) grievance battle between AC and CUPE (FA's) and CAW/Unifor (CS Agents) over displaying or using a persons name. For FA's I believe they can use a pseudonym if they want. I know one FA who uses "The Sheriff" on her name tag. I don't know about CS Agents restrictions. One of the issues with CS Agent is their red card must be displayed at all times when on the job. Again this is a specific issue with AC as employer and Unifor or CUPE as union.

As for using employee ID number, that number is also critical in processing staff travel privileges. Back before the internet era (about 1998) I was required to know both my dad's employee number and date of hire in order to call the employee reservation line or do non-rev travel at the airport. Asking for an employees ID number is akin to asking for their SIN/SSN.