FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Possible reduction of APD on UK domestic flights to save Flybe - impact on BA
Old Jan 15, 2020, 2:35 am
alvinlwh

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by Akoz
The Scottish Air Discount Scheme is completely sperate and applies to people living in those postcode areas, plus some others. It is a membership scheme, where members are able to book discounted fares on eligible flights. You have to book these via airlines ADS portal. You are right - this scheme is funded by the Scottish Government. Application form & information here.
It covers travel within Scotland and onwards connections to and from Inverness, Aberdeen, Bergen, Manchester, Glasgow, Edinburgh and London Southend.
The APD exemption is over and above this and covers Highland and Island airports (NOT ABZ) and some in Northern Ireland and is open to everyone using those airports.

Your trip is not covered by ADS but as you are leaving from Kirkwall means it will attract not APD for your onwards connection to SIN.

APD and its exemptions was started by a Westminster government in the 1990's, and subsequently amended serval times. It has now been devolved to the Scottish government as part of the aim of making the Scottish government more responsible and accountable for fund raised in Scotland and corresponding amount removed from the block grant priced at the time of devolution. The Scottish government have the power to alter it, but never have.
Actually it is definitely covered by ADS. I booked through https://www.britishairways.com/trave...t/public/en_gb

There is a price difference with and without ADS. (had to choose a different outbound flight for the non ADS as the same flights as ADS cost far more)
ADS - £671.66
Fare - £292.00
PSC - £85.16

Non ADS - £757.99
Fare - £377.00
PSC - £86.49
(Price difference was something like £600 v £760 when I booked 5 months ago)
Neither has APD, which is why I suspect the exemption for APD also covers airport areas with the same postcodes as ADS although I had not found any information clearly stating this.

Furthermore, ADS is for people living in some postcode areas, not based where you depart from. The application includes sending proof of address and they keep a keen eye on things, For example, from personal experience, if someone register at my address at a later date after I had registered, they will write to me to confirm, with a request for proof, that I am still at the same address or withdraw my membership. Also, in my most recent booking, I forgot to add my daughter whom turned from an infant to a child to my membership, SG contacted me to demand payment for just under £100, which is the fare difference I think.