FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - United removed my mobile boarding pass and ruined my trip
Old Jan 13, 2020, 10:52 am
STS-134

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
Originally Posted by gmt4
Why would anyone travel without paper?
Some people just don't want to take an extra few seconds to stop by a kiosk, and don't think about what the consequences would be if for any reason, they'd be unable to access their mobile BPs. A lot of people simply over trust the technology they're using. I personally don't think this is a smart thing to do, but lots of people do it. Some subset of those people get burned, and hopefully, those folks never do it again. I don't think the OP will ever try to do this again.

I got burned at the Disneyland Resort earlier this month, for over trusting my phone as well as Disney's servers. I was with a group of people, and we all got fastpasses for Radiator Springs Racers. Disney has a new feature on their tickets called "MaxPass", where instead of actually physically going around the Parks to put your tickets into the machines near each attraction, you can get fastpasses on your mobile phone. This is convenient if you are in line for one attraction when the time you can get another fastpass comes up; you simply open the app and select what you want. So all of our fastpasses were on our phones. Instead of handing a physical piece of paper to the Cast Member at the attraction, you scan your phone in a barcode reader as the Cast Member watches and looks for the green lights. We split into two groups, one of which went on Radiator Springs Racers about 30 minutes before the other. Well at the time the second group (which I was a part of) got to the fastpass line for Radiator Springs Racers, one of our fastpasses had vanished. I couldn't access it on my phone, and I hadn't taken a screenshot. I'm not sure if it was a computer hiccup but I explained the situation to the Cast Member and fortunately she allowed one extra person to go through the fastpass line. Now I always take screenshots of my fastpasses, but unfortunately with this MaxPass thing, there is no way to get a physical piece of paper, which I would prefer because it just eliminates all possibilities of something like this happening. Even so, my wife and I were the only people in the group who were actually carrying two phones, for backup just in case the first phone were to fail...