FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Itinerary for Thailand in June
View Single Post
Old Jan 13, 2020, 9:10 am
CrazyInteg

Originally Posted by B0gdan
Geez, that's terrible. Thank you for the warning. Is Chiang Rai a better option to experience some nature, visit some temples?
I did Chiang Rai and Chiang Mai last month. I'm still coughing from Chiang Mai (almost back to 100% health). I could see the fires burning from the airplane when I left. You can see the entire town covered in smog when going up to Doi Suthep. I'm not used to smog, so it seemed to really effect my health. (I also typically get sick when visiting HCMC)

Chiang Rai was nice, but a bit boring. I liked it and would probably return. Way less touristy, more laid back, however it was not so cheap like I had hoped. There are a ton of elephant day trips, several interesting temples (Wat Huay Pla Kung is a must see), a few "real" night markets, and the town is smaller so it's more walkable.

There is a bus from the airport into town for 20 baht, however the air connections aren't that great. You pretty much have to route through Bangkok to go anywhere else. Bus ride to Chiang Mai is not bad, but there's a lot of construction and traffic when you get near Chiang Mai which adds quite a bit of time to the journey.