FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - United removed my mobile boarding pass and ruined my trip
Old Jan 13, 2020, 12:58 am
jsloan
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by s0ssos
How is this a "good deed?" There is no boarding pass on OP's phone. Why didn't UA put the new one there?
Because the OP's reservation was out of sync. This would all have been cleared up if the OP had just managed to talk to somebody at United.

Heck, if the TSA guy would just have let OP through -- "look, I'm clearly on this flight; my phone's just messed up. Here's my earlier boarding pass. Look at that line; don't make me go through again." -- it would have been cleared up.

And yes, this is different than the phone's battery dying. Because this is no fault of the OP. And I understand they have plugs apparently in many places where one can charge a phone.
You're correct that the event itself isn't the OP's fault. The inability to resolve it efficiently is partly on the OP, though, IMO. (And, incidentally, while the OP walked back some of the original comments, you can still see them in the title: "ruined my trip." I suspect this conversation would be very different if the question had been posted as "why did this happen" rather than "what a disaster!").

Actually, I stand corrected. You are indeed correct. OP tries to help UA to not waste paper, and this is what UA does.
The "good deed" comment was about trying to protect OP on another flight when they thought he might not make the original one. That is, indisputably, a good deed. The unintended consequences did not work out well, but, at its heart, this was someone at UA trying to take care of a Premier Silver member and it blowing up in their face.