FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Splitting the Amex airline credit between 2 different airlines in the same year?
Old Jan 12, 2020, 8:14 pm
sdsearch
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by STS-134
So if you use part of the credit with your old airline in January, then switch your qualifying airline because it's still January, can you split your airline credits between two airlines in the same year? Or does the act of switching airlines somehow trigger a clawback?
I don't know, but my best guess would be that there wouldn't be a clawback, but rather that it would very difficult to switch after using part of the credit. I presume the online method for switching disappears the moment you use of part of the credit, even if that's in January. I presume then that if you try to ask someone to switch it for you, they're likely to run into the same thing. But I don't know either of those for a fact, because I didn't ever use a partial credit in January without switching airlines first. in previous years, I was able to use up the whole credit on one gift card if I used it in January, so I never had any credit left over after my first use of the credit. This year, I had to switch airlines first, so I obviously can't switch again until next year.