FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Travelling the world for 6 months... My sabbatical leave experience
Old Jan 12, 2020, 9:26 am
palmanfr

Programs: AF/KL Plat, BA Gold, A3 Gold, IHG Diamond, MR Gold, HH Diamond, ALL Platinum
Positioning to Kuala Lumpur (Part 1)

After a few days in Hong Kong, I was ready to hit the road again and try a new airline, Royal Jordanian, on their fifth freedom flight between HKG and BKK. RJ operates this flight 4 times weekly in continuation to their Amman - Bangkok daily flight operated on their Boeing 787-800 Dreamliner. The other days, the flight continues to Kuala Lumpur instead of Hong Kong.
This fifth freedom flight is usually a good deal when booked between BKK and KUL or HKG, but this time, it was fully part of my AMS-BKK ticket, marketed by BA. Since the timing of this flight was convenient and never flew with them before, I decided to include it to my itinerary
Being a OneWorld member airline, this flight allowed me access to the excellent Cathay Pacific lounges in HKG, together with 40 TP for my BAEC account (although as read many times on different forums, RJ does not credit very smoothly miles to partner airlines, and I had a make a retroactive claim with BA by email to get this flight credit. It took several weeks to complete this).

Check-in was smooth at the RJ counter in HKG and I was issued with my boarding pass to BKK, and the lounge invitation in a heartbeat. The lounge RJ officially uses is the Plaza Premium lounge, but as mentioned before, one is free using any of the OneWorld member airlines lounges in HKG, such as the Qantas or Cathay Pacific lounges.

HKG terminal 1

RJ counters in HKG

Security and emigration controls were smooth and immediately after the latter, a sign indicating the Qantas lounge was present. I initially was not considering visiting this lounge, but since I had some time to kill and never visited it before, I decided to get inside.

No long lines in HK emigration this time

Qantas lounge HKG

The lounge is quite big, and like the Cathay lounge, there is no ceiling, in a sense that the ceiling is the one of the airport terminal. This gives lots of light and a feeling of extra space, although one could think that it misses some « cosiness » and you also get some of the noises from the general terminal area.

Bar area - Qantas lounge HKG

Restaurant

It was not the peak hour at this lounge, and while the buffet was well stocked and the place was clean and organized, the options offered were pretty basic. I believe that some sort of restaurant service concept is available during peak hours (maybe before QF flight departures) but it was not an option when I was there. The lounge has showers and restrooms inside the facility.

Quick snack in the QF lounge, I am sure they can do better !

When the friendly lounge staff at the reception offers to take a picture, I could not say no :-)

I stayed about 20 minutes there, and went afterwards to the CX « The Wing » First class lounge located across the QF lounge.

It was not my first time in this lounge and just like most of the other CX lounges worldwide, I found the place a pleasant location to spend time between flights.
« The Wing » First class lounge is connected at the upper floor with the business lounge of the same name. This lounge is divided into different areas and features one buffet, one staffed bar, and one restaurant (which also has a buffet). In addition to the elegant furnishing and the champagne bar, it has several shower suites and also four (unless I am mistaken) cabanas, each of them featuring a bath tub and a shower, a toilet and a couch to relax. (I did not use the cabana this time, but will review this facility at a later stage, when I will report my CX First class experience between Boston and Perth, via Hong Kong).
Some desks with computers are also available in the lounge and just like the Qantas lounge, most of the lounge is open to the main concourse of the terminal, like a balcony.

The Wing first class lounge upper level entrance

I started my visit by having some dinner at the restaurant, I was lucky that the lounge was not crowded that day and got a table immediately. The restaurant has a small buffet of cold and warm dishes, and also desserts, but the best option to eat there in my opinion is to order one of the menu items. One of my favorites is the wonton noodles soup, and it was pretty good. The champagne offered that day was a Perrier Jouet Brut if I recall correctly.

The wing lounge restaurant

Restaurant menu

The buffet located at the end of the lounge was reasonably stocked...

Some hot items on the buffet

Wonton noodle soup

Another option to eat in this lounge is to use the buffet located outside the restaurant, where sandwiches, cheese, desserts and other small bites are offered. There is also a pretty nice tea selection available there.

Hot bites

Drinks selection

Macarons and sweets

Cheese selection

Sandwiches

The lounge also features a tea bar with a nice selection. I ended up my dinner with some green tea with a few sweets...

Nice tea menu

Bar in the Wing first lounge

Although I think the quality of the CX lounges in Hong Kong has decreased in the last few years (the catering company was changed a couple years ago I think), I still think this is a solid « Emerald card » lounge. I however believe a separate offering should be provided for First class-ticketed passengers, ŕ la American airlines or British Airways at least - or ideally, ŕ la Lufthansa or Air France… As a business class passenger and Emerald card holder, this was a nice place to spend time while waiting for my flight.
Since my flight to Bangkok was leaving close by this lounge, I did not do the trek of going at the other side of the terminal to experience « The Pier » first class lounge. (But I visited it a few months later during my long layover in HKG between Boston and Perth).
Soon enough, it was time to leave the Pier to reach gate 28 where my flight to Bangkok was immediately set to « Final call » status !

Departure board

Time to leave the lounge to head to my gate

Final call... 30 min before scheduled departure time !