FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Marriott Suite Upgrade Policy (New)
View Single Post
Old Jan 11, 2020, 8:49 am
calculus1918

Originally Posted by MePlatPremier
That has nothing to do with IT glitches, especially the automatically award repricing glitch that has been widely reported recently.

The Titanium upgrade benefit is valid only at check-in and only if there is availability for the entire duration of the stay.

Pre-upgrades are just tentative and may change or revert at any time due to a variation in projected occupancy or a higher demand for (paid) suites than originally anticipated. Unless one has a property giving a firm confirmation in writing for a courtesy upgrade (which I seriously doubt any property would do, save for very exceptional reasons) one should not count or rely on any pre-upgrade showing up on the booking details.

Upgrades may happen for a variety of reasons other than loyalty benefits (oversold room category, marketing, commercial arrangements, etc). Rooms and room categories get assigned and reassigned several times as need may be. A plat upgrade is only confirmed at check in and up to that moment anything can happen, including having a pre-upgraded reservation reassigned to the room category originally booked.

As we’re often told on this forum: if one needs or requires a suite for one’s stay, one should book and pay for a suite.

I'm not so sure about this. When this happened, it modified all of my 4 reservations at the same time (NY in Feb, D.C. in April, and China in June and July). When I sent the alert regarding the changes to the hotel in Shanghai last year, they told me the system automatically does this in the beginning of the year. Here is the email from Jan 21 of 2019:

Greeting from Courtyard by Marriott Shanghai Central!

The system has helped you to change the room type, but we have helped you to note the check-in requirements, please rest assured.

Best regards

After the email, my room type changed back to the suite and stayed the same until Jan to my check in date (suite was recognized of course).